first aid and medical supplies

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    —meg

I’m going to start a list of things that are important to have (imho). I will put in medicines and supplies that are used for multiple things. Please add to the list as you see fit.

one thing…..there is a difference between ointments and creams. Ointments are petroleum based and last on the skin longer than creams. Creams moisturize but they don’t last on the skin. So if you have something that’s a persistant problem, use the ointment.

Topical (for the skin):

antibiotic ointments

cortisone OINTMENT and cream (highest % you can get) ointment for things that are dry and will need to be on longer, cream for irritations that itch. Cortisone cream works well on minor burns, especially small areas of sunburn. it decreases inflammation in the tissue (burn) and helps prevent damage to the skin.

nupercainal (this has anesthetic properties, so you can use it for things that are painful on the skin, ie burns)

something like IVYrest.

silvadene (if you can get it….it’s prescription) it’s used on burns (not on the face) and the silver is effective in treating MRSA topically. (silver is antiseptic…..i don’t recommend colloidal silver for much more than topical infections…it’s not very useful for that but works well on MRSA)

calamine.

poviodone (betadine)….sometimes it can be found at dollar stores.

peroxide

witch hazel

MEDICATIONS:

acetaminophen (Tylenol) tablets, drops and liquid….for adults and kids.

Ibuprofen (motrin/advil) pills, drops, liquid. (for adults and kids)
      can be used for pain AND for fever reducer. Is an anti-inflammatory so it is good to use for burns also. Remember, it can cause thinning of blood so shouldn’t be used if you are on blood thinners or have history of ulcers, and shouldn’t be used in asthmatics (unless your doc says you can).

Baby aspirin. Aspirin is one of the few things that really has an expiration date. as it gets older it starts to break down and gets crumbly. you can tell when this is happening because it starts smelling vinegary. storage can be extended if you keep it dry and cool.

immodium.

kaeopectate.

pepcid (generic): used for stomach problems and in allergic reactions.

Benadryl: allergic reactions (pills and liquid)

meclazine (otc…..you can get it almost anywhere but RiteAid has like 100 tablets for 10 dollars. Get the higher dose, if i recall, it doesn’t cost more than the lower dose. Just break the tablets in half if you need to). It is used for nausea/motion sickness and vertigo. The tablets i got are chewable but you can take them with water if you want.

multi-vitamins.

cranberry capsules (works for urinary infections if started when infection is mild)

I have elderberry capsules. It contains the same thing as Tamiflu. If you take them once a day during a flu outbreak, they help prevent getting it. If taken 3 times a day, is therapeutic, like Tamiflu.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.